If you love everything about beer and you can tell all the subtle differences there are in the taste of different brews, then you may be able to turn that into a new source of income. In 2019, there were reportedly 8,386 registered breweries in the US, according to Statista. That number has steadily been increasing in the last decade. That is because, just like you, a lot of people love beer. So, if you want to capitalize on that fondness you share with millions of Americans, here’s how you do it.
Get the Gear
Here is a list of equipment you’ll need to start your brewery.
- Mashing System — this is used in the first step of the brewing process to heat the milled malt together with water.
- Lautering System — this separates any residual grain from the liquid produced in the mashing process or the wort.
- Brewing System — this is where the wort is boiled together with hops and other flavors you may want to add. During this process, the wort is sterilized as well.
- Fermenting System — the boiled wort is cooled down to prepare for fermentation. Once it’s at an optimal temperature, yeast is added to the mix. That is the most delicate part of the process, and any contamination here can ruin the final product.
- Conditioning System — The liquid product from the fermentation process is then separated from the residue and dead yeast that can spoil the final product. The beer is set aside to mature. That can take anywhere from a few weeks to months, depending on the recipe of the beer.
- Filtering System — This is an optional part of the process. That is where beer is filtered before being packaged.
- Packaging system — this part of the process is self-explanatory. That also depends on whether you want to sell your beer in kegs, bottles, or other containers.
Here’s Homebrewing with the items and prices on the list above.
If you’re an absolute beginner and want to try a more uncomplicated and significantly less expensive way of brewing your own beer, here’s a helpful YouTube video for that. Here’s a list of materials you’ll use for this simpler brewing version. It’s a home brewing kit from Amazon.
Find Your Recipe
There are hundreds, maybe thousands of recipes out there you can try. That’s because tiny deviations from the process may result in drastically different tasting beer. Don’t worry; here’s Brew Your Own magazine with a list of ten of the easiest beers to brew.
Here is a list of ingredients you’ll need to get started.
- Water — this makes up 90% of the brew. If you’re using tap, make sure the chlorine levels are not that high. Alternatively, you can use bottled or distilled water.
- Fermented Sugar — Malted barley is the ingredient of choice for many brewers.
- Hops — there are a lot of different hops to choose from. There’s Ahtanum, Amarillo, El Dorado, First Gold, Horizon, Mandarina Bavaria hops, and many more. Do your research and find out which one will fit your recipe best.
- Yeast — Beer yeast is different from bread yeast. You will not be happy with the result if you use the latter.
Register Your Brewery
Once you’re satisfied with your product, you should register your brewery based on the regulations of your state. It’s important to note that each state has its laws regarding alcohol.
Market Your Beer
Once you’re legal, you can start marketing your beer. Use social media for the best results. People love the authenticity and character of craft beer. Good luck!